Friday, July 13, 2007

Herb Gardening

I love growing herbs... I can't claim I'm herb savvy, I just love them.

I started growing herbs on a whim two summers ago, and this year I decided I wanted to level the bed out and essentially start over. My parents offered me some recycled bricks and off I went.

I just started at the short end and went with it. I'm sure a professional would have laughed at my process but I'm thrilled with the end result. It was a pretty enjoyable task given the fact that it took me a month because of some other outdoor projects and so much "help" from my little people. I added wheel barrows full of dirt, transplanted all of the perennials and added annuals.
My herb bed includes lavender, lemon balm, lemon verbena, rosemary, thyme, basil, spicy basil, rue, chives, oregano, purple sage, dill and tricolor sage. MMM... It smells so good out there!I do faithfully use the basil, dill & chives in the kitchen. I'd love to be able to say I use everything else I plant. Sigh... I must follow through with using the rest of these happy plants. I guess I've found my next research project!

Happy Hobbies!

HobbyMommy

2 comments:

Mrs. Preschool said...

How awesome! I guess you don't have bunny issues there. Last summer I put out 1 pout of herbs and the next morning all that was left was stumps. This summer we planted 3 varieties of tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers basil and mint. It was our first attempt at a real garden. We had to build a fence around it, though so our little furry friends wouldn't eat everything. So far so good. The tomato plants are over 6 feet tall!

Biblio Kate said...

Your garden looks lovely. I will be right over for salad and zucchini.